Home Forums Feature requests How \'good news\' stories hide healthcare woes

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Participant

How ‘good news’ stories hide healthcare woes

US headlines abound of ทางเข้า slotxo average Americans crowd sourcing funds for their medical treatment, or selflessly forgoing necessary medicine in order to save money for their families. Why are these stories so popular?

Dillon Hooley was a 17-year-old high school senior when he began cutting back on insulin, a life-saving drug necessary to manage his diabetes. The decision nearly caused him to die in his sleep.

“I wasn’t thinking right, but my parents work so hard to give me what I need, and I didn’t want to put more financial stress on them,” he told CNN in a 2019 article about the skyrocketing costs of insulin.

The family’s insurance deductible required them to spend $5,500 (£4,000) before receiving any benefits, forcing them to pay $800 per month for Dillon’s insulin. The coverage was provided by his father’s job at a steel mill in Utah.

Cutting back his dosage to life-threatening levels was an illustration of how the teen “wanted to help out any way he could,” said the article’s introduction.

“My son really didn’t like the CNN story and how he was portrayed,” says his mother, Mindie Hooley, who saved his life by waking him up and bringing him to hospital after he almost slipped into a coma due to a lack of insulin in his blood.

“The story made him seem like a ‘hero’ who rationed his insulin to save his family and this wasn’t the case at all. He felt he had no other choice other than to ration,” she says, describing how the family had suffered financially.

“Our family wishes that the article would have emphasised more about why he felt he had to ration. We wish that the emphasis was on why so many are to blame for why insulin is so expensive,” Mrs Hooley told the BBC.

Manufacturers have raised costs sky high in order to give steep discounts to middlemen acting on behalf of insurance companies, says Mrs Hooley, who now advocates for affordable insulin access with the group T1 International.

The family’s insurance company does not pay for Dillon’s continuous glucose monitor, test strips, or other supplies, also costing him thousands of dollars each month. To save money, he orders insulin through an online pharmacist, leading to batches that sometimes arrive late or spoiled.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.